Thursday, October 20, 2005

Eating taboos

Eating is a favorite pastime in Singapore. So, do we have any eating pantang? Why yes of course!



1. Always finish your rice.
Or you future partner will have spotted face or be plain ugly.

2. Never stick your chopsticks into your bowl of rice and leave it there.
In the old days, folks do that when they offer food to the spirits. You are not dead, don’t stick your chopsticks into the bowl.

3. Do not place your bowl on top of the plate.
Often, when we eat at a Chinese wedding dinner, we are served with a clean bowl and clean plate. On the 2nd dish which usually turns out to be something soupy, the bowl will be used. An auntie told me that we should never place our bowl on the empty plate when we eat. This signifies a serving to our dead parents. I don’t really understand what she means but hey, I don’t want to curse my parents with my actions, they are both alive and well. No bowl on plate! Yes Mdm!

4. Never eat the last piece of food
This I don’t know why, it was either, you will get fat, it’s rude, or you will never find a soul mate in your life etc etc. Either way, we are all supposed to waste the last piece of food on the serving tray. Say, if the restaurant only offered 8 portion of food for 8 guest, does it means when I am the last one to be serve, I will not take the food because I am pantang?!!!! Absolutely not! Do you think I am stupid? ;)

Some good advice I am about to give. If a particular dish is so tasty that you are willing to risk the taboos of taking the last one on the serving tray, do offering it to the others first, it’s simple courtesy. If someone actually has the cheek to take your offer, the person probably will get fat and not find a soul mate, that’s revenge enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home