Monday, October 10, 2005

Chinese pantang cats

Hari Raya Puasa is just round the corner, this festive holiday often reminds me of my previous neighbors. My previous neighbor is an elderly Malay couple who always offered us really delicious snacks during Hari Raya Puasa. They didn’t have any children whom I can play with but they did have some really beautiful cats.

My parents did not mind having the cats next door except for one little irks. To them, it is bad luck for cats to enter through our door. Any cats that wander in uninvited will bring the household bad luck. Any dogs that choose to wander in uninvited will bring the household good luck. So whenever my neighbor’s cat sneak into my house to play with me, she will find means to distract the cat away or shoo her off. Both my mom and dad never once harm the lovely cats; they are both very kind-hearted people but they are really pantang too! ;) In fact, it’s pretty amusing to see them trying to lure the cats away from our door without touching or harming them.

I am not sure if my neighbors are aware of this Chinese pantang but I noticed they would try to keep their windows and door closed so that their cats won’t wander out. What my parents didn’t know was that I was the culprit. I often waited by the door for my neighbors to come home, and when they opened their door, I would lure the cats towards me so that I could reach out and stroked them. (To clarify, I was still pretty young then.)

Since they moved, we lost contact with them. My fascination for cats came from them, they taught me how loving cats can be. I really hope in the near future, it will be legal for us to keep cats in HDB estates. That way, I can sleep soundly knowing my cat are licensed and will not be taken away from me, just as I am now for my pet dog. I know my old neighbors will welcome the idea too.

This Hari Raya, some lucky neighbors of theirs will get to enjoy the homemade goodies, I hope they appreciate it as much as I did. Considering the numbers of years that has passed, they must be pretty old now. May they be well and happy, and Selamat Hari Raya to them!

PS: cats and dog CAN live together. Especially when I have such a timid dog. Hee…

PPS: as you can see, my post isn't about Chinese and Cats pantang; it is mainly about my neighbor, and cats, oh and how much I miss their delicious homemade goodies. *Slurps* Did I mention how my family always shows our appreciation by giving them fresh fruits when we return their plates? This always gets us second helpings! (of course, this means my parents will had to get more fresh fruits and "return" the good-will again.) I miss those goodies... I mean good times! :op

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I shall let my parents know that its cool for my neighbour's dogs to enter the house suddenly. Will bring luck one! Heee. I just worry that my dog just might kill the intruder for trespassing on his territory! =)

 
At Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once, a cat sneak into my house and gave birth to 4.
And my mum took good care of them.
She said our home is prosperous, and that's why the cat choose to gave birth here.
Dunno if it's true, but I sure get to play with them for a few days.

 
At Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:04:00 PM, Blogger Joan said...

I guess when the animals came in with "extra gifts" especially auspicious gift, it's not that bad after all. ;)

 
At Monday, July 04, 2011 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Kay said...

can any body tell me. For the chinese is it true that if we place our bamboo poles and its pointing towards their house, they will b angry and may I knoe why. I ve just move in and wegot no choice but to hang our clothes outside n it seems that our chinese neighbour start making noise.

 
At Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:27:00 AM, Blogger Joan said...

I've never heard of the bamboo pole, but it will be good to talk to your neighbours and find out if it's bothering them. It might turn out to be something else that's easy to fix. :) Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home