Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A Clock for $1

A day before, my sisters and I found a shop in Plaza Singapura selling clocks for decorative purposes. The clocks came in all shapes and sizes, interesting styles and beautiful drawings. We were fascinated. But when I mention getting these clocks as a gifts for housewarming, they say I can only do so if the recipient paid a dollar for the clock! Pantang!!!

We are not allow to give clock or watches as gifts because the mandarin words for giving clock sounds the same as "to send the decease off", "送钟". If we die die also must give, then we should ask the person whom the present is for, to give us a small token of $1. The cash transaction make it look as if they bought the gift from us for 1 buck. That’s how clever Singaporeans are at twisting the words around and making clock giving possible.

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 17, 2005 8:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only surprise I have for you is that you are still awake at 2AM!!!!! Mine mine... u really have lots of time on your hands gal....

sal

 
At Wednesday, August 17, 2005 9:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, well said...

 
At Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

No towels too. Supposed to be bad luck I guess.

Oh, and no shoes for your bf/gf. They'll run away from you - yes, a breakup. My friend gave a pair of trackshoes to his gf and on the following month, she broke up with him. :P

 
At Thursday, August 18, 2005 2:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best friends bought me shoes for mu bday but made me give them a gold coin (SGD1) each. Think it's some cantonese word for something.

- prettyhazy

 
At Thursday, August 18, 2005 4:50:00 PM, Blogger aspiringwife said...

yeah, cannot gif shoes too... like sending someone off.. haha

i heard perfume cannot gif also, in return muz get $1 frm the recipent too.. But dunno the rational behind perfume.. lol..

Singapore does haf alot of superstition beliefs huh.. hahaha

 
At Thursday, August 18, 2005 5:30:00 PM, Blogger Joan said...

No towels? wait, let me think.... is it something to do with the fact that in Chinese funeral, we often seen Towels sewed together to form a banner and hang up for all to see. Cool, I must check this out. Anyone with more information, please contact me. Thanks!

 
At Thursday, August 18, 2005 5:33:00 PM, Blogger Joan said...

Alamak! I gave perfume before! But we are still good friends now. I guess our friendship (not BO) is stronger than the scent from that perfume i bought. :op Oh and it's longer lasting too. hee...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home